Department of Food Science and Technology
Type of project
Type of project
PRIMA - Partnership on Research and Innovation in the Mediterranean Area
01.03.2020 - 02.09.2023
Project manager at BFSmole-Možina Sonja
The BioProMedFood proposal focuses on investigating two innovative and sustainable concepts (bioactive components and bio-protective cultures) with objectives to increase efficiency of the food chain, to prolong shelf life of perishable Mediterranean food and to enhance food safety. Additionally, the proposal aims to add economic value to food processing by-products and reduce food wastes by using them as a resource of bioactive components with ability to improve the qualitative performances of Mediterranean foods. To prove this concept at TRL 5 level, the project aims at: i) extraction, purification and production of bioactive compounds from different matrices, important for Mediterranean economy and characterised by a great biodiversity potential (i.e. macro algae, process by-products from olive, grape and fruits) and demonstration of their antioxidant and antimicrobial properties in vitro ii) isolation and selection of functional bio-protective lactic acid bacteria (LAB) strains from spontaneous artisanal fermented meats, characterisation of their inhibiting activity against foodborne pathogens and their fermentation performances in order to select bio-protective and improved functional starter cultures; iii) application of bioactive compounds and lactic acid bacteria isolates and their synergy in different food models, food packaging methods and in development of polymeric packaging material and evaluation of the necessary production technological parameters. This will enable the reduction of invasive physical treatments and synthetic preservatives, exploitation of Mediterranean microbial biodiversity and of its agro-food system by-products, implementing sustainable, low cost innovative solutions and optimizing biotechnological tools, able to reduce small-scale traditional production safety concerns, meeting the consumer demand for fresh and minimally processed foods by assuring most stringent safety parameters.
THE PHASES OF THE PROJECT AND THEIR REALIZATION
- WP1: Project coordination and management;
- WP2: Extraction, purification and production of bioactive compounds from different macro algae and agro-food by-products;
- WP3: Isolation and characterisation of autochthonous lactic acid bacteria for improved bio-protective cultures and functional starters;
- WP4: Application of selected extracts and bioactive compounds and their synergy with novel packaging methods on fresh and lightly preserved foods;
- WP5: Application of selected lactic acid bacteria and bioactove compounds for shelf-life improvement of perishable Mediterranean food products;
- WP6: Dissemination and Exploitation.
Citations for bibliographic records