Study programme learning outcomes
The basic aim of the study programme is to educate and train an expert who is able to combine basic natural, technological and economic knowledge in a market economy and use it in the sustainable production of quality and healthy food while preserving the cultural landscape. The graduate excels in knowledge and understanding of the principles and use of methods for monitoring the economic efficiency of production in a market economy and global competition, ability to systematically monitor sources of professional information and their meaningful selection and use.
Mode of study
Available enrolment slots: 75 slots for full-time study, 4 slots for Slovenes without Slovene citizenship and foreigners and 4 slots for parallel studies.
Official duration of the study programme in credits and years
The first cycle professional study programme AGRICULTURE - AGRONOMY AND HORTICULTURE lasts 3 years (6 semesters) and has a workload of 180 ECTS. Students are required to complete 60 ECTS each year.
Name of qualification and title conferred
- diplomirani inženir agronomije in hortikulture (VS) or
- diplomirana inženirka agronomije in hortikulture (VS)
- dipl. inž. agr. in hort.(VS)
Access to the professional study programme Agriculture - Agronomy and Horticulture is granted to candidates who have:
- passed the general Matura, the vocational Matura, or the final examination in any four-year secondary school programme.
- completed a four-year secondary school programme prior to 1 June 1995.
Admission to the programme is also granted to candidates who have completed equivalent education abroad, and who enrol under the same requirements which apply for candidates who completed their education in Slovenia. Prior to enrolment in the study programme they must complete the procedure for recognition of education for the purpose of further study.
In case of limited enrolment the following selection criteria apply:
- overall average in the final examination, the vocational Matura or the general Matura: 60% of total points,
- overall average in the third and fourth years of secondary school: 40% of total points.
Conditions for progression to a higher year:
A student may enrol in Year 2 if he completes study requirements of Year 1 in the amount of 60 ECTS by the end of the academic year. A student may enrol in Year 3 if he completes all study requirements of Year 1 (60 ECTS), and all courses of Year 2 in the amount of 48 ECTS; a total of 108 ECTS. The missing 12 ECTS for Practical Work can be completed in Year 3. A written confirmation of the completed Practical Work shall be handed in before the defence of the diploma thesis.
The competent Studies Committee may exceptionally approve the progression to Year 2 for a student who has gained at least 45 ECTS in Year 1, if the student can provide justifiable reasons in accordance with the Statutes of the University of Ljubljana. The competent Studies Committee may exceptionally approve the progression to Year 3 for a student who has gained all 60 ECTS from Year 1 and at least 32 ECTS from Year 2, if the student can provide justifiable reasons in accordance with the Statutes of the University of Ljubljana.
Conditions for repeating a year:
Students can repeat a year provided that they complete study requirements in a total amount of at least:
- 30 ECTS to repeat Year 1,
- 60 ECTS from Year 1 and 30 ECTS from Year 2 to repeat Year 2.
The competent Studies Committee may exceptionally approve the repetition of a year for a student who does not meet this requirement, if the student can provide justifiable reasons in accordance with the Statutes of the University of Ljubljana.
During their course of study students may only once repeat a year or change their study programme owing to non-fulfilment of requirements.
Transfer between study programmes
A transfer between study programmes means termination of education in the first study programme and continuation of studies in another study programme. A transfer is possible only if the the candidates meet the requirements for enrolment in the new study programme. Tansfers between various study programmes for obtaining the same level of education is possible if at least 50% of ECTS of the first study programme can be recognised (i.e. if at least 30 ECTS can be recognised in the first year of the new study programme).
Transfers are possible:
- from comparable first cycle academic and professional study programmes and from long-cycle master’s study programmes in the field of life sciences or biotechnical sciences of the Biotechnical faculty UL or of other faculties, if the candidate meets the new programme admission requirements. In approving the transfer and determining additional requirements, the competent Studies Committee will set which courses and study requirements and to what extent will be recognised, and the year in which the student may enrol.
- from the pre-Bologna academic study programme Agriculture - Agronomy and from the pre-Bologna professional study programe Agriculture - Agronomy and Horticulture, if the candidate meets the new programme admission requirements. In approving the transfer and determining additional requirements, the competent Studies Committee will set which courses and study requirements and to what extent will be recognised, and the year in which the student may enrol.