Study programme learning outcomes
The basic aim of the study programme is to educate an agricultural professional in many practical skills in various fields of animal husbandry. The emphasis is on knowledge and skills in the areas of production technologies, feed production, nutrition, control, selection and economics needed in independent animal husbandry management on farms, in agricultural organizations and organizations dealing with breeding pets. The graduate achieves a significant level of knowledge, he can make decisions in various business spheres, including technical, production and marketing fields.
Mode of study
Available enrolment slots: 45 slots for full-time study, 3 slots for Slovenes without Slovene citizenship and foreigners and 3 slots for parallel studies.
Official duration of the study programme in credits and years
The first cycle professional study programme AGRICULTURE - ANIMAL HUSBANDRY lasts 3 years (6 semesters) and has a workload of 180 ECTS. Students are required to complete 60 ECTS each year.
Name of qualification and title conferred
- diplomirani inženir kmetijstva - živinoreje (VS) or
- diplomirana inženirka kmetijstva - živinoreje (VS)
- dipl. inž. kmet. živ. (VS)
Access to the professional study programme Agriculture - Animal Husbandry is granted to candidates who have:
- passed the general Matura, the vocational Matura, or the final examination in any four-year secondary school programme,
- completed a four-year secondary school programme prior to 1 June 1995.
Admission to the programme is also granted to candidates who have completed equivalent education abroad, and who enrol under the same requirements which apply for candidates who completed their education in Slovenia. Prior to enrolment in the study programme they must complete the procedure for recognition of education for the purpose of further study.
In case of limited enrolment the following selection criteria apply:
- overall average in the final examination, the vocational Matura or the general Matura: 60% of total points,
- overall average in the third and fourth years of secondary school: 40% of total points.
Conditions for progression to a higher year:
A student may enrol in Year 2 if he completes study requirements of Year 1 in the amount of 50 ECTS by the end of the academic year. A student may enrol in Year 3 if he completes all study requirements of Year 1 (60 ECTS) and study requirements of Year 2 in the amount of 50 ECTS; a total of 110 ECTS.
The competent Studies Committee may exceptionally approve the progression to a higher year for a student who has gained at least 42 ECTS in the previous year, if the student can provide justifiable reasons in accordance with the Statutes of the University of Ljubljana.
Conditions for repeating a year:
Students can repeat a year provided that they complete study requirements in a total amount of at least:
- 30 ECTS to repeat Year 1,
- 60 ECTS from Year 1 and 30 ECTS from Year 2 to repeat Year 2.
During their course of study students may only once repeat a year or change their study programme owing to non-fulfilment of requirements.
Transfer between study programmes
A transfer between study programmes means termination of education in the first study programme and continuation of studies in another study programme. A transfer is possible only if the the candidates meet the requirements for enrolment in the new study programme. Tansfers between various study programmes for obtaining the same level of education is possible if at least 50% of ECTS of the first study programme can be recognised (i.e. if at least 30 ECTS can be recognised in the first year of the new study programme).
Transfers are possible:
- from comparable first cycle academic and professional study programmes or from long-cycle master’s study programmes in the field of biotechnical sciences of the Biotechnical faculty UL or of other faculties, if the candidate meets the new programme admission requirements. In approving the transfer and determining additional requirements, the competent Studies Committee will set which courses and study requirements and to what extent will be recognised, and the year in which the student may enrol.
- from the pre-Bologna academic study programme Agriculture - Animal production, if the candidate meets the new programme admission requirements. In approving the transfer and determining additional requirements, the competent Studies Committee will set which courses and study requirements and to what extent will be recognised, and the year in which the student may enrol.
- from all academic study programmes in the field of agriculture at other faculties, if the candidate meets the new programme admission requirements. In approving the transfer and determining additional requirements, the competent Studies Committee will set which courses and study requirements and to what extent will be recognised, and the year in which the student may enrol.
Graduates of pre-Bologna higher education programmes in the field of agriculture who have work experience of at least three years may be admitted to the third year.