Content (Syllabus outline)
Introduction to dendrology, dendrology as biological discipline, definition of its importance for forestry. Types of dendrology.
Distribution of woody plants, distribution ranges, their types and factors shaping them. Endemic and relic species.
Ecophysiological properties of woody plants and the reactions of plants to the environment. Terminology.
Morphology of woody plants, plant organs and their importance for species determination.
Plant systematics, taxonomic categories, definition of species and lower taxonomic categories. Practical use of determination keys.
Detailed presentation of tree and shrub species: native and selected introduced species, economically important tree species. Presentation includes: distribution of species in the world and and Slovenia, ecological and silvicultural properties, biology, morphology (special attention on species determination), economic value and use.
1. Condition for inclusion in the work:
- Inscription to adequate academic year
2. Condition for performing study obligations:
- Obligatory attendance to the laboratory work
- Obligatory attendance in field excursions,
- Completed report from the laboratory work,
- Positive evaluation of the herbarium,
- Positive evaluation of the seminary work
- Passed two tests on woody species recognition.